Do you like reading?
Do you encourage your child to read with you?
At Harrow High school, from September, we will be introducing two exciting new approaches to support all learners with improving their reading. The first approach is called D.E.A.R. and it stands for “Drop Everything and Read,” a daily reading opportunity designed to make reading a priority activity in all our their lives.
Because, what’s more FUN(damental) than reading, really? Even the teachers and all staff will be reading EVERY day. Learners and staff will need to make sure they bring something to read to school every day.
The second opportunity is called Accelerated Reader and this involves learners regularly attending the library with their English teacher who will guide them to an appropriate book that will challenge their ability to read more widely and comprehend more difficult texts. The programme will regularly assess your child’s reading ability especially their range of vocabulary and comprehension skills.
More information from:
- work in a community of readers and learners, including other class members, family members, their teacher, and other school volunteers.
- focus on lifelong learning strategies by providing experiences, formats, frameworks, and attitudes for study in the present and future.
- participate in student-centred learning.
- explore their ideas, reflect on their writing, and revise their work.
- read and discuss texts in guided and independent practice, using literacy a way to think, as a tool for understanding.